Pad was ready even before John Sculley fired iconic innovator and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 1985

PUNE: iPad, which brought a new paradigm in mobile computing, was ready even before John Sculley fired iconic innovator and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 1985, Ray Hammond, technology futurist and once the neighbour of Steve Jobs, said. Mr Hammond, who wrote the world's first guide to e-commerce, 'The OnLine Handbook' in 1984, told this at the Nasscom Engineering Summit in Pune on October 12.

Known for many of his predictions about technological trends, Mr Hammond said that it was Steve Jobs who introduced him to the world of technology.

One day I was cleaning my car and a person, who was doing something with his car, approched me for a spanner. Some days later he showed me the computer he had built, which encouraged me to learn about technology."

Ten years later, when he visited Apple headquarters, he learnt that Steve Jobs had been fired from the company, he said. "John Sculley (the CEO Jobs had hired and who later fired Jobs) told me that Steve had left. But he said look at what Steve has left us with and he showed me a video which Steve had prepared.

If you see the video, it is exactly the iPad. John then told me this product was meant to launch in 2010," Mr Hammond said in his keynote at the Nasscom Summit. Apple announced the iPad on Jan 27, 2010 and its second version was unveiled in March this year.


PGDM 1ST